5 Fishing Spots to Check out in the Denver Area
In the warm summer months when we can’t be out in the wilderness hunting elk or deer, nothing beats spending a morning (or a day!) on the water and casting a line. Whether you’re local to Denver, or just passing through -- the Meat Cleaver Denver wanted to share a just few of the wonderful fishing spots in the area for you to check out.
1. Cheesman Canyon — a little bit of a drive from Denver, this spot on the South Platte is a great place to check out. Here you can find both wild rainbows and brown trout. The perfect spot to get some fly fishing is surrounded by beautiful scenes of pines and giant rock formations.
2. Bear Creek Lake Park — a great spot featuring three lakes. If you’re lucky, you’ll find rainbow trout, saugeye and smallmouth bass on the end of your line.
3. Blue River — you won’t want to miss this the 34-mile section of the river between Dillon Reservoir and Kremmling. Here you’ll find some of the best fishing in the state, along with trout and Kokanee salmon.
4. Cherry Creek Reservoir — located in Aurora, this spot is a state park and also is home to some great hiking and mountain bike trails. Cast your line here to find largemouth bass, bluegill, rainbow trout, and walleye.
5. Georgetown Lake — home to Rainbow trout, brook trout, brown trout, lake trout, tiger muskie — this breathtaking spot is one to check out. Fishing can be done year-round and you’ll enjoy the views from the heart of the Rocky Mountains.
We hope you find time this summer to drop a line and enjoy some great fishing near Denver. To stay up to date on conditions, be sure to check out the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Fishing Conditions page here.